Saturday, April 13, 2013

Emily Dickinson's Garden: The Poetry of Flowers - a Power Point slide show

After reading Michael Bedard's Emily, we then take a virtual field trip to Emily Dickinson's garden.

In 2010 the New York Botanical Garden had an exhibit titled "Emily Dickinson's Garden: The Poetry of Flowers". Using artifacts from Emily's life, the NYBG recreated her garden in their Haupt Conservatory. I was fortunate enough to visit on the last day of the exhibit and my poet friend and I took lots of pictures, which I then compiled into a slide show with commentary for the students.

The students view the slide show with their commonplace books out and crayons, pencils and markers. They can take notes, draw what they see or not include anything form the slideshow, but I remind them to have them out in case they get inspired.


No comments:

Post a Comment